By DailyNewsUG Correspondent,
|KAMPALA|#DailyNewsUG| TRADE & INDUSTRY MINISTER Hon. Amelia Kyambadde on Saturday 6th June 2020 held a Consultation engagement Meeting with some of Kampala’s leading Landlord’s and their representatives. This is after business activities resumed as President Museveni announced the gradual easing of restrictions to curb the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
Prior, Minister Kyambadde in a statement on Wednesday June 3 justified rationale for opening the malls and leaving the arcades closed. There was an alarming confusion between Malls and Arcades.
Government clarified that “None of downtown buildings fall under Mall category”. Shopping malls had been allowed to open starting Thursday June 4th 2020 while Arcades would remain closed until further notice.
The minister has since explained in detail ahead of the much awaited reopening of Arcades to clear the countrywide confusion.
Subsequently the two representative parties met Saturday 6th June 2020 and the Hon. Minister issued guidelines ahead of opening of Arcades.
On her Facebook Page she announced that “ Met with the Kampala Landlords before Government considers opening up shopping arcades and we agreed as follows”;
- To decongest the arcades by;
- Reducing the number of occupants, 3 occupants per shop, but ensure social distance of 2 meters between the shop attendants within the shop premises.
- Removing people trading in the corridors, stair cases, doors and temporary structure (make shift shops).
- Demarcate and mark points where the buyers will stand while being attended to and to serve one customer at ago.
- Increase the number of guards on the entry and exit points to manager; tempt guns, washing areas and sanitizing gates, compound, floor and doors.
- No hawkers and food vendors shall be allowed in to arcades.
- Tenants and customers shall regularly sanitize end wear face masks.
- People carrying luggage and use arcade as passage ways to cross from one street to another are prohibited.
- Landlords will allow tenants to start trading as they discuss on case by case basis how to stager the rent arrears.
In attendance were;
- Kirumira Godfrey.
- Hajj Kiggundu Hamis (Representing Absent Landlords).
- Tycoon Dr. Sudhir Rupaleria
- Dr. Ntaganda Ephraim
- Ssemambo Rashid
- Dr. Margret Ssekidde
It must be noted that other Real Estate Kingpins such as Drake Lubega, Mansoor Young, Thomas Kitandwe, Bosco Muwonge et al are Media shy businessmen and very reclusive to an extent that the General Public hardly knows what they look like.