By Staff Writer (DailyNewsUg) Everybody’s dream is to go to a University or to find their selves in the walls of a university without knowing the important things to do so as not to become an “half baked graduate”
I therefore decided to write some few notes down for my fellow students and to all undergraduate student out there to know and to put to practice and abide by it.
1. KNOW YOURSELF: Knowing one’s self is not limited to your name alone. You must discover who you truly are. Your strong points and weaknesses;
2. EXPERIENCE COUNTS: During holidays, break, even weekends, it is advisable to take up holiday or part time jobs, even, voluntary jobs, jobs. This will give you to required experience when you eventually go into labour;
3. KEEP LEARNING: Learning is not limited to lectures from your field of specialty of course at the University or Polytechnic. You are to learn soft skills;
4. MONEY MATTERS: Money is very key to everything you do. This will help to support one in achieving one’s dream. Be it schooling or learning vocational skills;
5. COMMUNICATION: Good communication skills is very essential in today’s competitive World. Learn to talk to people in the manner they are not offended. The ability to communicate clearly and to work well team setting is critical to a sustained and successful employability. Do not abbreviate when you write letters and memos. Learn to communicate in simple English. No ambiguity, it helps a great deal to work effectively in a team;
6. HANDLING FAILURE: “I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career as a basket ball player. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times I have been trusted to take the game’s winning shot and missed. I have failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeeded”.
MICHAEL JORDAN American Basket Ball Legend Failure is not the end of the World, it means you have to work harder. No one is perfect, learn from that experience;
7. BE SOCIAL-WISE: 60% of employers now turn to social networks to research for job applicant, so, be weary of the posts, pictures and what you do on the social media. Your potential employers and business partners could be watching. Avoid anything extreme. You could post birthday, wedding, picnics pictures etc;
8. PEOPLE SKILLS: Interpersonal skills can be the difference between undergraduate Days and when you get employed. You need these skills;
9. PRESENTING YOURSELF: You never get a second chance to make a great first impression. People will treat you the way they see you. It is important how you present yourself. It is always good to put your best forward. Dress decently, look neat and comport yourself all the time.
10. ATTITUDE: Your attitude determines how successful you can be. Your Attitude determines your altitude.