Meghan’s $135,000 wedding dress revealed: Royal bride will wear hand-stitched, beaded design made by British couturiers Ralph & Russo, paid for privately by Prince Harry’s family
- Meghan will wear the stunning Ralph & Russo gown as her first dress May 19
- Harry, 33, and Meghan, 36, will not go on honeymoon until later in the summer
- Bridesmaids and pageboys are Prince George, Princess Charlotte, Mia Tindall
- Duchess of Cambridge will attend but without her newborn son Prince Louis
- Meghan’s parents will meet Queen, Charles and Camilla ahead of the wedding
Meghans hugely anticipated wedding dress will set the Royal Family back £100,000.
Multiple royal and fashion industry sources have revealed the actress has opted for British couturiers Ralph & Russo to make the first of two gowns she plans to wear on May 19.
She will wear the hand-stitched, heavily beaded design to walk down the aisle at St George’s Chapel in front of 600 guests – and an estimated billion TV viewers worldwide – as well as for the reception being held afterwards by the Queen in St George’s Hall at Windsor Castle.
The dress imagined: Meghan Markle is reportedly set to wear a Ralph and Russo gown (not pictured) when she walks down the aisle at St George’s Chapel in Windsor on May 19
‘It sounds a lot but this is the wedding of the year and hundreds of hours of manpower have gone into making it, almost all by hand,’ they said.
News of her dress came as Kensington Palace revealed new details about the wedding, including that Harry, 33, and Meghan, 36, will not go on honeymoon until later in the summer and will conduct their first public engagement as man and wife days after their wedding.
As excitement builds, it was also announced that:
- Meghan’s parents will meet the Queen, Charles and Camilla ahead of the wedding before her mother accompanies her by car to the chapel and her father walks her down the aisle.
- Harry will honour his late mother Diana in the ceremony, with all three of her siblings attending and one, Lady Jane Fellowes, giving a reading.
- There will be no maids of honour. All the bridesmaids and pageboys – believed to include Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Mia Tindall – will be children.
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend, but without her newborn son, Prince Louis.
- Prince Philip, 96, is ‘hopeful’ of attending but is still convalescing from his hip replacement and may miss his grandson’s big day.
‘He is so excited about the wedding and is being remarkably traditional about everything,’ the source said.
Ralph & Russo have been odds-on favourite for the commission since Meghan wore a £56,000 semi-sheer black evening dress from the label for her official engagement portrait.
Meghan and Harry at the closing ceremony of the Invictus Games in Toronto last year
Meghan in her younger years with her father Thomas Markle
Intriguingly, earlier this week their haute couture atelier team visited the Royal School of Needlework, which was responsible for the bespoke lace on the Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding dress and boasts a long association with the Royal Family.
Meghan will change into another dress for a second, black-tie evening reception thrown by Prince Charles at Frogmore House in the grounds of Windsor Great Park.
British company Burberry and its outgoing chief designer Christopher Bailey or beloved royal label Erdem are tipped to create this dress.