The 4iCU Dotong University web ranking platform has released the list of Africa’s most prestigious universities. Makerere which used to be the best university in East Africa is now trailing 6 spots behind Kenya’s University of Nairobi which was ranked 12th.
Below is the list of top 20 universities in Africa:
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University of South Africa, South Africa
- University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Universiteit Stellenbosch, South Africa
- University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- North-West University, South Africa
- University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- Rhodes University, South Africa
- University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- University of the Western Cape, South Africa
- The American University in Cairo, Egypt
- Cairo University Cairo University, Egypt
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, South Africa
- Alexandria University, Egypt
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology, South Africa
- Makerere University, Uganda
- University of Ghana, Ghana
- Universiteit van die Vrystaat, South Africa
Harvard University remains the number one in the world for the 14th year‚ followed by Stanford. Berkeley rises one place to 3rd spot. Cambridge is now fourth. Oxford soars from 10th place to 7th. ETH Zurich (19th) takes first place in Continental Europe‚ and University of Copenhagen (31st) in Denmark overtakes Pierre & Marie Curie (39th) in France as the second best university in this area. In Asia‚ University of Tokyo is back to Top 20 but Kyoto University drops from 26th to 32nd. University of Melbourne (40th) tops other universities in Oceania.
The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) started in 2003. ARWU adopts six objective indicators to rank world universities‚ including the number of alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals‚ the number of Highly Cited Researchers‚ the number of articles published in journals of Nature and Science‚ the number of articles indexed in Science Citation Index – Expanded and Social Sciences Citation Index‚ and per capita performance. More than 1‚200 universities are ranked by ARWU every year and the best 500 universities are published.